SLOVANIA
SCHOOL CENTER CELJE

 
           

Our school (Secondary school of Chemistry, Electrical Engineering and Computing engineering) is part of a large school centre, named School Centre Celje, which is a modern educational centre educating for the economic needs of our local community. It prepares students for further studies at higher vocational colleges and at university. School centre Celje can trace its roots back to 1959. It began to educate students in two school programmes (civil engineering and mechanical engineering) under the name of Secondary Technical School Celje. The Secondary Technical School Celje changed its name into School Centre Celje in 1996. The schools belonging to our school centre offered educational programmes of secondary schools and a higher vocational college, beginning with mechanical engineering and civil engineering first. Since 2007, when two additional secondary schools joined our school centre (Secondary Vocational Schools Celje and Štore), School Centre Celje has housed the following schools: 

  • Grammar School Lava, 

  • Secondary School of Chemistry, Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, 

  • Secondary School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Protection, 

  • Secondary School of Services and Logistics, 

  • Secondary School of Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics and Media and 

  • Higher Vocational College. 

An additional unit that is also part of our school centre is Adult Training Centre, which educates adults and also organizes informal educational programmes.

CELJE

 
           

Is the third largest city in Slovenia. It is located below Upper castle Celje. The first settlement in the area of Celje appeared during the Hallstatt era. The settlement was known in the Celtic times and to Ancient Greek historians as Kelea

Once the area was incorporated in the Roman Empire in 15 BC, it was known as CivitasCeleia.  Records suggest that the town was rich and densely populated, secured with the walls and towers, containing multi-storied marble palaces, wide squares, and streets. It was called Troia secunda, the second; or smallTroy

The city was razed by Slavic tribes during the Migration period of the 5th and 6th centuries, but was rebuilt in the Early Middle Ages. The first mention of Celje in the Middle Ages was under the name of Cylie . The town was the seat of the Counts of Celje from 1341 to 1456 It acquired market-town status in the first half of the 14th century and town privileges from Count Frederick II on 11 April 1451.

After the Couns of Celje died out in 1456, the region was inherited by the Habsburgs of Austria and administered by the Duchy of Styria. The city walls and defensive moat were built in 1473. The town defended itself against Turks and in 1515 during great Slovene peasant revolt against peasants, who had taken Old Castle.

Celje became part of the Habsburgs' Austrian Empire during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1867, after the defeat of Austria in the Austro-Prussian War, the town became part of Austria-Hungary.

The first service on the Vienna-Trieste railway line came through Celje on 27 April 1846. In 1895, Celje secondary school, established in 1808, began to teach in Slovene.

 Celje became part of independent Slovenia following the Ten-Day War in 1991.